May I find His joy even in my sorrow and His life in my death. To God be the glory!

Thursday 26 September 2013

Where Chocolate Comes From

Deep in the jungles surrounding Impfondo there are hundreds of cacao trees. The Bantu people living in Impfondo, and especially the BaAka pygmies who live in the jungle, tend these trees and harvest the cacao pods to sell.


Several of us had the chance to spend a morning helping one family harvest from their jungle "garden." It was hard, hot work and the biting insects were numerous. We used long sticks to knock down the pods high above the ground, and I got to climb a few trees which was fun.

They pile up the fruit and let it sit for a few days before hauling it out of the jungle, cracking open the pods, drying the beans and then selling them. The family we were helping has nine kids and a bunch of them joined us in the work. Their mom makes the long trek into the jungle to work every day during this season.

2 comments:

Abby said...

That is really cool! I never really knew how it worked!

Mother said...

I can leave comments now! Somehow what Andrew did for me to leave messages on Emily's account (which didn't work for awhile) now works for me to leave messages on your blog, too.

Mother