May I find His joy even in my sorrow and His life in my death. To God be the glory!

Thursday 20 June 2013

Whether it was the heat...

...which warped the wood, or something else (like being bumped around too much), I'm not sure, but today I opened up the violin case to discover the sad sight of "me fiddle" in a state of disrepair. Actually, it's Hannah's violin...so roomie, if you're reading this, my deepest apologies to you. (I know you knew there was a pretty big chance of this happening.)

Now I'm going to miss my music a lot. It was a bit pathetic trying to play my songs without my band, but now I can't even do that. I wish I'd had time to play it more. Anyway, I surely hope this fiddle is not the first in a long line of unthinkable accidents, like the fiddles of long ago that perished in terrible ways. Ask Dr. Cockman to tell you the stories - they will make you shudder.

And so perished Hannah's violin, which I have treasured these two moons of life on African soil. I suspect it is not beyond repair and could be renewed at the hands of a good old boy from the Appalachian Music Shoppe. (actually, I'm convinced it could.) But alas, here there are no such skilled hands. So it will have to lie in dust and mildew awaiting its resurrection.

3 comments:

Abby said...

Oh Kate I am soooooooooooooooo sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hope you can fix it or get another one!!!!!!!!! I love you!

Hannah said...

I'm so sorry Kate! I know you'll miss being able to play it so much. (Yes, I knew there was a good chance of the fiddle perishing--but it's totally worth it, in order that you might be able to have it there for any amount of time.)

I love you so much. Thanks for keeping up the blog.

Arwen and Lorien Cockman said...

Kate, that is very sad, but better for it to pass quietly in its sleep than to suffer the violent fates of some of the great fiddles of old. Keep it safe until your return, and I'm sure that it will be revived at the touch of the master's hand. Luke 8:52.

Dr. Cockman