May I find His joy even in my sorrow and His life in my death. To God be the glory!

Tuesday 18 January 2022

Expat Mama Recommends...

...that you don’t pack in too many clothes. I bought way too many clothes for my girls and myself in America and even at great prices it wasn’t the best use of our money. It’s easy to find used clothes here in the market and it’s basically thrift store quality with even lower prices.
The clothes are cast offs or donations from America or Europe shipped in big bales and then re-sold here and across Africa. Usually I can get a shirt for myself for a dollar or sometimes less and a dress or outfit for the girls for that same price. It’s a way to help support the local economy and the local women who are the main ones selling these second-hand clothes.
I’m also making, altering and repairing more clothes now that I have a sewing machine (my birthday present from my husband). Of course for really stylish or trendy looking clothes, Walmart or Old Navy are still your best option, so plan to pack some things with you, if you want those styles, but the majority you can get here for super cheap. I have also had fun sewing matching dresses for the girls and the variety of fabric prints available here are endless.

No comments: