May I find His joy even in my sorrow and His life in my death. To God be the glory!

Tuesday 12 September 2017

My Birthday

This morning I slept in a little bit, since I wasn’t planning on working at the hospital much today. At about 6 I realized I wouldn’t be able to sleep anymore so I made myself get up. Feeling kind of foggy headed and sleepy I walked to the bathroom and then came back and brushed my teeth. I started making pancakes for breakfast so Hannah and Esther could have some before they left for work.  

Esther had made my place look nice like we do at home:


























While it was still early and I was fumbling about the kitchen, some of my friends arrived with chicken they'd cooked for me and a bucket of sugar rolls. It was a nice surprise.

The rest of the morning was very relaxing. Pancakes and coffee with Hannah, while Esther headed to the Bloc for the morning. Then I washed the tablecloth, tidied up the house and rode my bike to the market to buy meat. I was able to get the meat as Mama Anne had described and for the correct price. I also got some onions and cucumbers. I was hot and sticky by the time I got home, but I put the meat in Bethlehem and went back to the house. Some little girls were there waiting for me to put bandaids on injured toes and give them notebooks for school. After that I sat down to read my Bible for a bit - and then Adonai came over for a piano lesson - which we did on their little rinky-dink keyboard they have.

Esther did most of the cooking, and I helped some…but mostly I was able to sit around and drink coffee and make the house look nice for the party. Of course everyone was late because of the rain. The party was supposed to be at 3:30 but the first guest did not arrive till after 4pm. And the rest didn’t come till after 5:30. Typical African style and the added rain made people even later.

We ended up having lots of friends, neighbors, a few patients' relatives and a random toddler one of my friends picked up on his way over to the house.

The party was a great success. We had tons of people and lots of good food. Esther also broke out her candy storage which was much enjoyed by all. Some people were even sighted eating skittles with a spoon. 

Hannah and Berchavie

Cutting the cake that my friends made for me

After everybody ate we played games. We played pick up sticks and Spoons and then when a few of the guests left but we still had a good crowd we played the fish bowl game. It was the most enthusiastic, loud and wild game of fish bowl I have ever played. It was incredibly noisy and we all laughed so much.


My friend Chaldie who is also one of the midwives here:


3 comments:

Margaret Barry said...

Happy Birthday Kate! I'm so glad it was a good one! I miss you!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!
I love you!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!
I love you!