May I find His joy even in my sorrow and His life in my death. To God be the glory!

Monday 9 December 2013

Goodbyes

 Saying goodbye...Sarah Speer put on a going away party for me at the mission. All of us missionaries, as well as about thirty neighbors and friends gathered together in my front yard. We played games and ate and Cherissa, my violin student, played me a last song. While everyone was still sitting I had a chance to go around and shake everyone's hand and say goodbye. It was a nice way of closing.
 I have felt in a bit of a daze this last week, with so much going on, but always the thought that I'm leaving everything and everybody in such a short time. It's gone by really fast. I've been too busy to have a chance to cry, but I have the whole Atlantic ocean to cross so there will be time for tears later.

 Some of the people that came for my going away party at the mission:
 Photos with friends at the hospital. Below Mama Anne, who is finishing up nursing school and doing her clinicals at the hospital right now, and Dani, one of the janitors. who also leads worship (and has a great singing voice) in the church across the street from us.

 Saying goodbye to my adopted daddy. Molimo is a stabilizing factor to the hospital and has been here since before its beginning. He keeps all the mechanical/electrical work going and was coming almost every night, up until this past month when the new electrical system was installed. He refused to smile for the photo to prove his real sorrow at seeing me go.

Ghislain, who works alongside Dr. Henri Samoutou in the Eye Clinic with NewSight Congo. He is a good worker and Henri's right hand man, as well as one of my wonderful friends here.

Charnelle is one of our nurse/midwives and has taught me a lot about babies, as well as coached me through several deliveries. She is a vital part of the hospital, handles the statistics for maternity and is very smart and has a lot of experience with prenatal consultations and deliveries.
 Gypsia, one of the little neighbor girls who likes to sleep over at my house. Her mom being handicapped and her not-always-very-kind older siblings makes me feel like she's my adopted daughter. Leaving her is really hard, since at this point there's nothing more I can do for her except pray.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. -Hebrews 12:1-3

2 comments:

Esther Barry said...

Thank you for posting all those wonderful photos. It's makes me sad for them and you. Why so much bitter/sweet, since we are so excited to having you coming back to us.

Esther Barry said...

Thank last comment was from me, mother! I didn't notice that Esther was logged in. I wonder how many posts I posted in her name? ummm