May I find His joy even in my sorrow and His life in my death. To God be the glory!

Saturday 6 April 2019

Indian Style Flatbread

I decided to try something new so I looked up a recipe for Indian flatbread (the kind you can pan-fry rather than bake) and I found something that worked quite well. Below is the recipe:

1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
3 1/2 cups flower (plus extra for rolling the dough)
2 tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt (I did it with 3/4 cup because the first time the dough seemed too moist)

Directions:
Combine water, sugar and yeast and let sit for five minutes.
Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
Add yeast mixture and yogurt to flour and mix well. 
Knead thoroughly for five-ten minutes (by hand or with bread machine).

The dough will be sticky, which is fine (it’s yogurt based so it tends to be this way). I like to add a little oil to make kneading it easier.

Brush dough with oil and let sit (covered) for an hour.

Divide up dough and roll into rounds/ovals about 1/4 inch thick. You can make the rounds the size you like - but I make them no wider than the small sized tortillas you can buy at the store. Fry (with little or no oil) on medium to high heat for 1 minute or less on each side.

Note: I don’t try to make them perfectly round (no need to get frustrated) and I put a little oil in the pan only for the first one but after that they fry easily with no extra greasing needed (esp if you have a non-stick frying pan) and they come out looking dry and baked (not greasy) which is a plus because it makes them more appetizing and similar to the oven-baked version.


A single recipe can make between 12-16 depending on how big you make them. They are good with just about anything. Orcxance likes to take them to work as a snack and even eats them with peanut butter!

No comments: