May I find His joy even in my sorrow and His life in my death. To God be the glory!

Tuesday 20 March 2018

Helmeted Guinea Fowl

My animal collection is expanding and recently I was given this unique looking species of bird.


This is the male; they were supposed to be a pair, but sadly the guinea hen escaped on the journey. I guess she hated being tied up and strapped to the back of a motorcycle, and the pair had already come a long way from the DRC. So at the earliest opportunity she fled.

Anyways, I got the male bird, and started trying to keep him with the chickens and ducks, and feed him so he'd stick around. He is extremely fast and got away once, but my neighbors helped me get him back. They are rare around here, and aren't in Impfondo at all, but apparently when kept in pairs  or flocks they will lay dozens of eggs each month, or so I've been told.

Today, after another long trip to go pick someone up in a town further north, the guinea hen was found and brought to join her husband here. The hen is not as nicely colored as her partner, and her feet are a bit sore from being tied up, but I think they are happy to be together again.


You can read more about this special variety of guinea fowl here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmeted_guineafowl

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Outpost 3, revisted!

Unknown said...

Outpost 3, revisted!

Zainab Gul said...

I used to have a few of those. Three were spotted, like your male, and one was white.