May I find His joy even in my sorrow and His life in my death. To God be the glory!

Sunday 24 December 2017

Labor of Love


Many of the girls I see each week for prenatal care are teenagers. When they come in to deliver  they are often scared and overwhelmed. Especially if they have not received any prenatal care of education about childbirth, it’s even more of a challenge. 

I do my best to stay with them as much as possible, help them stay calm and encourage them through labor.

Every time I help with a delivery I am amazed at God’s creation. It never gets old. 

At Christmas time, I think about Mary. Her pregnancy seemingly ruined her normal life. She delivered her first baby without familiar people around to help - only a man she probably didn’t even know very well.

This is the way God chose to do it. He didn’t bring His son into the world into an already established, happy family. Mary was a young unmarried girl.

And contrary to a lot of our popular Christmas songs - Jesus’ birth was not cozy or picturesque. 

After coming home from helping another teenage girl push out her first baby, I take a few minutes to quietly sit by myself and listen to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQZmni-oeg4 


It is probably my favorite Christmas song ever. I think about Mary’s willing heart, and her pain, and Joseph’s obedience…and God’s grace to the world.