May I find His joy even in my sorrow and His life in my death. To God be the glory!

Friday 15 November 2013

"It filled me with joy"



I walked back from the hospital today, because the truck said it was going back at 7:00 and I wanted to get home sooner than that. After an hour of walking, just as I was nearing home, the truck passed me, so I guess it changed its mind. 

Instead of going straight to the house I stopped by Pascal and Pamela’s first. (Pascal is one of the carpenters who works at the hospital) All three kids were there, as well as Pamela’s younger sister. Pamela had me sit down and set a bowl of mfufu and a bowl of something else in front of me. This was only my second time visiting them at their house, but she was very happy that I'd come. Then she poured a glass of water and got a bucket for me to wash my hands. “I cooked this for you,” she said, when she presented the food. I wasn't expecting her to feed me, but I was very grateful and humbled by her kindness. When someone so poor offers what they have it's a beautiful thing. 

So I saw there in a very dark hut and ate mfufu and some greasy, unrecognizable kind of meat and drank unfiltered water and was utterly thankful.When we finished, she walked me all the way home, and sat with me in the house for a while by candlelight. Our water is working again, but our lights and toilet aren't.

The next morning when I saw Pascal at work he came up to me and said, "It filled me with joy that you came to sit with us in our house." Even the little things you do can be so worth it.

4 comments:

Abby said...

Wow Kate that is so great!

Sarah Grace said...

You make me cry, but I'm not sad. I am very, very happy. I love you, Kate!

Lauren said...

I love hearing these stories, so badly wish I was still there to experience with you!

Mother said...

So very sweet , but those are not the right words. I'm so happy for you and proud and grateful.